New Mexico Writers 2024 Grant Program
The New Mexico Writers annual grant program is intended to support New Mexico authors in a variety of literary endeavors. The program features a competition for funding new works or works in progress by writers from all populations and geographic areas of New Mexico, as well as members from the greater Navajo Nation.
Grants are between $500 and $2,000 and are awarded at the New Mexico Writers annual dinner, where grantees are honored as special guests.
The 2024 annual dinner will be held on Thursday, April 25 at La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe.
Who Should Apply
All New Mexico writers, and members of the greater Navajo Nation, are invited to apply for funding to support projects in ONE of any of the following genres: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, journalism, playwriting, and screenwriting.
Previous New Mexico Writers grantees must wait two years after receiving a grant before applying for a new project grant.
Eligible Award Funding Opportunities
NEW MEXICO WRITERS 2024 GRANT APPLICATION
GRANT APPLIED FOR (You may submit only ONE application in ONE grant category. Select ONE Below):
New Mexico Writers Annual Grant: New Mexico Writers signature grant supporting writing, research, publishing and other activities pertaining to the creation of new works or works in progress.
Grants typically range from $500 to $2,000. Please request a desired funding amount for your project. Although the New Mexico Writers Grants Committee reserves the right to determine the final amount of funding for a project, knowing an approximate funding range is helpful in our evaluations.
Douglas Preston Travel Grant: This special annual $1,000 grant, funded by best-selling author and Santa Fe resident Douglas Preston, specifically supports an author’s travel needs in the service of a writing project.
Applicants for either grant may request a specific amount of funding to support their work as needed, including attendance at a writing-related workshop, conference, or mentorship program; research-related travel costs; or enabling time away from employment to work on a project.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
1. Your proposal of no more than 500 words. It should describe:
- the literary endeavor (including the genre) for which you are requesting support;
- how this grant will help you progress in this endeavor; and,
- a timeline for your project and specific use of the grant funds during that time.
2. One or more letters of recommendation from someone who knows your writing in a professional capacity or wishes to encourage your pursuit of the craft. The letter should address how this opportunity is critical for your growth as a writer. Letters must be submitted with the application. Late letters will not be accepted.
3. A writing sample of no more than 10 pages (double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt. type
4. A biography of no more than 400 words that describes your status as a writer, including whether you have previously had material published or performed in your field.
Please note that all required documents should be merged into ONE document before you submit.
Deadline to Apply
Completed applications should be emailed to the NMW’s Executive Director.
Grant applications are due no later than Friday, March 1, 2024. Awardees will be notified by Monday, March 18, 2023.